Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What's in a name?

Hi All,

Just a quick post for today.  My mermaid and I were over at the Post Exchange food court yesterday getting a quick snack when we saw this adorable family of 3 girls and their mother.  The first two girls were obediently dogging mommy's steps, but the third was lagging behind.

"Hurry up, Pocahontas!" the mother called.

I had to stifle a giggle.

Pocahontas?  Really?  The little girl had to be about 5 or 6, with pretty blonde curls and bright blue eyes.  I don't know if it was a nickname or a name name, but it just struck me as hilarious.

Then it occurred to me: who am I to giggle?  My daughter's name is Arielle.  People always ask me, "Like the mermaid?" when she's introduced and she's usually got on a shirt featuring said mermaid.  I'm not gonna' lie.  The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney movie and Daddy-Man and I did name her after Ariel.

One day when I was pregnant and we lived in St. Louis, we were walking through the mall and I saw that The Disney Store was running promotions featuring the 10th anniversary of The Little Mermaid's rerelease in '97.  (I don't know why they were celebrating the RErelease instead of the original release.  Really the movie has been around since 1989.)  I jokingly said to Daddy-Man, "We can name her Ariel," and he agreed.  The name stuck, though we chose to go with the French spelling.

Maybe Pocahontas was that lady's favorite Disney movie?  Maybe they are from good Native American stock?  Maybe they're direct descendants honoring their ancestor?  Who knows?

I'm still not sure what to think but I'm reserving the right to giggle.

In other news, be on the lookout for Missy Moo's Halloween Dress tutorial, coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment