Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Yum - Coconut Chicken Curry

Hello Everyone.

I thought that I would share my top secret Coconut Chicken Curry (aka: CCC) with you today to celebrate my Google-able-ness!  Hurray, hurray, hurray!  This is more a Thai type of curry than an Indian - though I would LOVE to learn an easy Indian curry recipe - hint, hint Daffy!

And, while I'm thinking about her, if you've got a moment, you should check out Daffy's Dream for some really great sewing projects and pictures from India!

On with the show....er...recipe.

Coconut Chicken Curry a'la Jade


You will need the following:
  * approx. 3 lbs of chicken
  * two bags of "Asian" frozen vegetables
  * one 14 oz. can of coconut milk
  * some garlic - either fresh or powdered
  * a decent sized onion
  * the magic ingredient: Golden Curry sauce mix - look for it in the "International" aisle
  * three tablespoons of sugar
  * Optional: a heaping tablespoon or two of peanut butter


Step One: Cut the fat off your chicken.  Cut the chicken into bite size bits.  Saute with the onion in a little bit of olive oil and toss in that garlic!

Step Two: I forgot to take a picture of this step, but it's simple.  After your chicken is cooked all the way through, throw in your vegetables and half a cup of water.  Put on the lid and let sit for a couple of minutes so the veggies can heat up.


Step Three: Break up the block of curry mix.  The little tray is indented where the block can easily be broken.  Toss the chunks in.  As they melt, they'll form the sauce.

Step Four: Vigorously shake the coconut milk can, open it, and dump the contents in with the chicken, vegetables, and curry mix.  Fill the coconut milk can up 1/4 of the way with water and dump that in too.



Step Five: Sprinkle the sugar in and stir to distribute.  Now is when you'd add the peanut butter too.  Let everything simmer and thicken while you make the rice.  Though, it occurs to me that if you're not using 10-Minute rice like me, you should have started that earlier.  LOL.


In the meantime, while you're waiting for your rice to cook, check on your spawn.  Mine just happened to be making a delicious dinner of mud pie with ingredients from our compost pile.  Yum.



Anyways, serve over rice!  This recipe is good for 2 adults and one child for two night's worth of meals. We LOVE this recipe.

I like how the steam looks like a ghost!  LOL.

4 comments:

  1. looks yummy!im going to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray! I can't wait to make it! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really really good....did you use white rice or brown rice or does it matter? You use medium hot will it make a difference if I use mild? Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa!

    We no longer have to be enemies! I've seen your tea cozy and it is lovely - though not as lovely as mine... LOL.

    Anyways, I use brown rice only since it's (supposed to be) healthier. Also, the "medium hot" is not hot at all. I've never used the "mild" since I think it would be too mild. Really, it's all about what you can handle - and, as a Texan, I think you'd be disappointed with the mild.

    Let me know how it goes! Don't forget to add the sugar.

    Jade

    ReplyDelete