Saturday, November 20, 2010

I've SEEN the Hyperbolic Crochet Reef!

WOW!  I am beat.  We left for D.C. at 3:50 p.m. and just got back at 11:15 p.m.  Needless to say, it has been a LONG afternoon/evening.  Anyways, let's cut to the chase: I have seen the hyperbolic crochet reef at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and it is AMAZING!!!



Over 400 people contributed more than 1,000 crocheted or knitted pieces of yarn corral, starfish, sea cucumbers, jellyfish and more.  The oldest contributor is over 100 and the youngest is Missy Moo at 3 years old.  She was pandered to all evening by lovely grandmotherly types and boy did she eat it up.

Take a gander and stare in amazement...






Some of these were made out of trash to show man's effects on our corral reefs
The two most important people in my world - aren't they cute?
Sea cucumbers made out of yarn make me laugh
Missy with Jennifer Lindsay, the Community Reef Coordinator

Near our contribution - Jennifer told me she calls that area "The Little Mermaid Grotto"
I love my little family.
If you're in the Maryland/D.C. area, I heartily recommend that you stop over at the Museum of Natural History to see the reef.  If the private viewing for contributors hadn't been so very packed, I would have taken a picture of the reef in its entirety, but I think the pictures I did take show how very cool it is.

After the reception, we headed on down to Chinatown and got some Mexican food.  It's too bad Missy fell asleep or she would have been in heaven.  LOL.  


1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is truly awesome! We might take the in-laws there when they come.

    ReplyDelete