Saturday, December 4, 2010

Super Ginger Cookie Recipe - they bite back...

Hello.

So, I spent the first half of my evening making Christmas presents for my relatives and I'm sure they're going to love them.  However, after spending too much time and thought on a dog coat, I decided to make cookies.

See, Missy and I went on down to our local Dutch market today with a friend and we picked up some crystallized ginger slices.  I have recently discovered how much I like ginger, so I thought, "Hm, slices of ginger coated in sugar must be amazing!"  Well, so you know, sliced ginger coated in sugar is amazing, but oh my goodness!  It is POTENT!

Here's the cookie recipe I made up to use some of my new ginger!

Super Ginger Cookie Recipe

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1 cup of blenderized, crystallized ginger slices - Pop a handful of these tasty bits into your blender and use your "Chop" function.  As the pieces get smaller and smaller, they'll start to collect around your blade and cause your blender distress.  Just take a butter knife and fluff them out and reblend til they're as small as you'd like.

1 2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup quick oats
1 tbsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1: Preheat your over to 350 degrees.
2: "Soften" your butter and then add the sugar to it.  Cream it together.
3: Mix the molasses and egg into the butter/sugar mix.
4: Mix in the blenderized ginger being careful to separate the ginger (or else you'll get super potent bits in your cookies.)  Set aside.
4: In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients.
5: Dump the dry stuff into the butter mix and, well, mix.
6: Spoon the batter onto your cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes.

When you get them out, let them sit on the cookie sheet for about a minute before trying to get them off or else you'll get smooshed cookies - like mine.  "Patience" is SO not my middle name.

If the rate of disappearance is any indication, Missy really likes these cookies.  However, she keeps giving me the rest of her cookie when she bites into a big piece of ginger.  So, let that be a warning to you - really separate that ginger in step 4!

If you mix up a batch, let me know how it goes or if you figure out any improvements or how to really separate that ginger!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. These sound good!! Really good!
    Thanks for stopping by Chestnut Tree Lane today, I'm loving your blog. (That crochet place is amazing!)

    ReplyDelete